• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mach1970

mach1970

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:10 AM

I just purchased a Vulcan V50 50 bmg, and now have read this gun is all but a pipe bomb. Any information on this gun would be appreciated. I'm leary about shooting this thing,and want to know if my worries are justified. Thank You

Edited by mach1970, 13 January 2007 - 07:12 AM.

#2 riffraff

riffraff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:21 AM

mach1970,

Sorry to have to say this but I have NEVER heard anything positive about a Vulcan 50 BMG rifle. It is my understanding that the problems with the rifle are so numerous that that can not be made safe.

I wish you had posted here before you made that purchase.

Join up and get access to the members forum. The choices in 50 BMG rifles are many more that you can possibly believe and growing all the time. 50 BMG suppliers are just not advertised in mags like GUNS AND AMMO. Except for Barrett and Armalite and maybe LAR.

A couple of months ago someone on the members side turned his Vulcan into a lamp but it was noted that Underwriters Laboratories would probably not even certify the rifle safe enough for that duty.

Mike

#3 shadowfrog

shadowfrog

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

mach1970,
what Riffraff said is true of the old interupted thread bolt design you i belive are refering to the three lug bolt Vulcan Arms design so it is possible you have a shootable rifle i however have not seen the new design in person nor can i atest to it`s quality of fit ,finish and heat treatment however the three lug design is somewhat a standard design in 50 cal rifles so it may indeed be safe to shoot i would take a small file and in areas of the reciever and bolt i would try to see if a file scratches it and how much the hardness of the reciver should be at around Rockwell 34-36 moderately tough to get a very small groove cut in it (i am talking about one of less than a 1/32 of an inch long in a hidden area) the bolt should be at a Rockwell hardness of about 43-45 meaning it will be very tough to get a mark in it but the file will still mark it , above 45 hardness a flie will just polish the finish off if it is that hard it is unsafe

please try these tests and let us know what the results are we would like to know and we are to make sure you have a safe shooting experience so if i can assist you please PM me
shadowfrog

rarely seen some times heard
you will hear the slug wizz by then 4 seconds later you will hear the crack of the rifle if i miss and i rarely do

#4 shadowfrog

shadowfrog

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

mach1970,
i have just spoken to some one who has 6 of the Vulcan V50 that he will not sell the becaus they are so bad and while it may not be the Bomb that the old bolt design is it unfortunately is still NOT good
he uses them to test ammo for safety only ( if it is safe in a Vulcan then it is safe in any good rifle)
shadowfrog

you will hear the slug wizz by then 4 seconds later you will hear the crack of the rifle if i miss and i rarely do

#5 single_shot_gunzilla

single_shot_gunzilla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:27 PM

I have one of the new type, three lug Vulcans. It is the metal stock version - I had heard all the hype about it being the Hesse and soo bad - when they changed from Hesse to Vulcan and got away from the interrupted threads, seems they made major efforts to improve. It really IS NOT the same rifle it was before. The new rifles are made from 4140 Chrome Moly steel, they are assembled with a barrel nut for adjustable headspace, like a large version of a Savage 110 action. They use a standard Mauser 98 type trigger where an aftermarket (timney, bold, etc) adjustable trigger can be added. The grip is standard AR-15 that lends to be replaced with an aftermarket ergonomic one. The muzzle brake is very effective. As a gunsmith and gunshop owner, I was interested in knowing if this could be recommended or not, as it is very reasonably priced. Well, compared to the number of home built kits that were starting to crop up, and the AR upper rifles that use a cheezy screw in bolt, or the OLD Hesse, interrupted thread action, these aren't bad. 150+ rounds through it and its dropping them in at around 1 MOA. I know that it isnt a Barret or MacMillan, but it isnt $7500 either! The thumbhole stock Vulcan is a little goofy looking, I preferred the rail stock. It is a utilitarian piece that is made using good materials, chamber on mine is good and tight, metal is hard, and a gawd-awful lot of it, and shoots well. Give these guys a break - they are trying awful hard to make 50 shooting affordable. There is a niche for something like this - a 50 cal plinker, fun shooting without the intention of actually participating in serious 50 cal matches. I think their new rifle is going to make it - And I agree, their old one definitely wasn't worthy of praise. There has been too much Hear Say dumping on them if you ask me.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Neil

#6 Thumper

Thumper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:20 PM

Thank you, Neil, for your input.

Thumper

#7 reelman1

reelman1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

I bought one of the Vulcan 3 lugs in Sep of 06 and have about 150 rounds through it at this time with no problem other than occasionally having to use a rubber hammer to open the bolt. This rifle has never had
anything other than handloads through it by me, and they are not mil spec loads. I actually find the accuracy going up with reduced loads, even less than what I started with that was a percentage off of the mil spec for IMR5010. Lamp post, I don't want to use mine for that, as it shoots moa at 600 (longest on my range). Never any signs of pressure even on the ones I have to open with a hammer, haven't quite figure that out yet, although it is getting better with time and I suspect that chamber roughness is wearing in. Mine is the thumbhole version.

#8 shadowfrog

shadowfrog

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:19 PM

reelman1,
having to use a hammer is not unuasual even with the very best built 50`s by top gunsmiths.
the roughness of the chamber ream is one of the common complaints about the Vulcan V50`s
if it is shooting well for you i am glad enjoy it

the Vulcan that is banned at FCSA competitions is the old interupted thread bolt design that is the one thant got converted to the lamp :D :ph34r:
shadowfrog

#9 reelman1

reelman1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

View Postshadowfrog, on Mar 8 2007, 07:19 PM, said:

reelman1,
having to use a hammer is not unuasual even with the very best built 50`s by top gunsmiths.
the roughness of the chamber ream is one of the common complaints about the Vulcan V50`s
if it is shooting well for you i am glad enjoy it

the Vulcan that is banned at FCSA competitions is the old interupted thread bolt design that is the one thant got converted to the lamp :D :ph34r:

I am glad to hear about the hammer and other fifties, I thought maybe I had one of the bad ones. The gun shoots moa+ actually, I forgot the +, and it's by another shooter.

#10 H&H GUNS

H&H GUNS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

View Postmach1970, on Jan 13 2007, 08:10 AM, said:

I just purchased a Vulcan V50 50 bmg, and now have read this gun is all but a pipe bomb. Any information on this gun would be appreciated. I'm leary about shooting this thing,and want to know if my worries are justified. Thank You
I own a gun store and ordered a vulcan v50 for a customer and they sent a muzzle brake that wouldn"t fit the gun tried for weeks to contact their tech department with no luck pitiful customer service i bought 2 of these things my-first #1 and my last #2 stay away from these idiots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users